2007-11-20

Of a Regrettable Accident and Fortunate Consequences

Before I continue the tale of the life-changing characteristics of Second Life minigolf, I would first like to skip forward to the story of how I wound up in Caledon--where I would make a second home.

It all began with a train and a quest.

The quest technically came first . . . an eternal quest to find modest clothing for women in Second Life. This is a matter of special importance when home is an island founded by Latter-day Saints. Let's just say that mini-skirts, belly buttons, and tops cut down to there don't work. (Note to clothiers: Many potential female customers do not desire to look like characters in an adolescent male fantasy. Broaden your horizons, and increase your market.)

Tascha Klees and I were out shopping on this quest, and had just landed at the telehub of Port Caledon sim following some Victorian leads. We stepped away from the hub and paused for a minute to decide where to go next. One of the locals spotted us and asked if she could be of service.

This was our introduction to the great lady Serra Anansi, an old-time Caledon resident and the owner of the Winterfell sims. We explained our object, and she suggested that she had a landmark that might help. (It turned out to be for Prim and Proper.) Miss Anansi then undertook the not-insignificant task of searching her inventory.

Dear readers, any of you who know Port Caledon also know that it boasts one of the early trams in Caledon and SL. It runs through the center of the sim, right past the telehub. Just steps from the hub. About as many steps, in fact, as dear visiting Valentine had chosen to take.

Did I mention that my sound was off?

So Miss Anansi is searching, Tascha suddenly types in chat "Look out Val!", and POW! But I don't understand any of it immediately, as my system chose the exact moment of POW to crash itself. Talk about timing.

Well, I re-logged, had the circumstance explained to my more-than-slightly-chagrined self, received the landmark, assured Miss Anansi that I was quite well although a bit startled by the affair, and we set off on our separate ways. The landmark, by the way, turned out to be out of date. But with a business name to work from other locations were found, and we eventually shopped downtown Victoria City with much pleasure.

After this memorable introduction to a clearly civilized locale, how could I not return?

No comments: